Tuesday, June 16, 2009

UT Orientation

I'm officially a Longhorn now, I got a sticker to prove it.

Yesterday was my orientation and mostly it wasn't worth the $42 they charged me (umm and you aren't even going to feed me? Not even a morning juice box?) but it was nice to get - read: be forced - to wander around the campus and get a better feeling for the place.

Mostly I paid $42 to feel really really old. See below overheard conversations.

Speaker: Fine Arts! You are at the back door!
Girl 1: That's us.
Girl 2: No, that is Fine Art.
Girl 1: But we're art.
Girl 2: We're Liberal Arts.
Girl 1: It isn't the same thing?
Me: *Mental forehead smack*

The following must be read in the best Valley Girl impersonation you can do in order for you to fully appreciate it.

Girl 1: ohmygod, I want to be a speech therapist, like and work with kids, like a pediatric speech therapist. I think it is really cute when a little kid has a stutter.
Girl 2: wow, that is really cool.
Girl 1: ohmygod I know. It is going to be like totally rewarding.

Also, I rode the bus to school. I've never ridden the bus in Austin before so I don't know totally how it works but I can tell you one thing that I am absolutely positive about: Clipping your nails on the bus is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. TOTALLY TOTALLY TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. Let me be clear - clipping your nails on an empty bus is unacceptable and clipping your nails on a totally packed bus? TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

Who is this group of people who feel like clipping their nails in public is ok? Seriously, who is their mother? And why are they always right behind me? I should not have to spend my ride to school wondering if your fingernail is going to hit me in the back of the head.

Other places where clipping your nails is unacceptable:
1. In line for a ride at Disneyworld.
2. In the waiting room at the doctor's office.
3. In your cubicle at work.
4. In any other place that isn't your private bathroom with the door closed.

2 comments:

Holly said...

Yay Longhorns. That's why I never talked to undergrads while I was there. Speaking of buses, the Forty Acres shuttle on campus is your new best friend. Otherwise you will start to wonder WHY ON EARTH you went to the biggest university EVER when it's like 100 degrees outside. Just sayin'.

Anonymous said...

Everyone seemed so jazzed about orientation, but I hated it. Jester was horrible, and really, the other kids weren't friendly... had hoped to meet some people but everyone kind of had up their own wall. I'm don't really "party", if that means getting wasted at a frat party you have no intention of joining. It just seemed like there was no one like me there at all. I wonder if other freshmen had this experience, or if everyone was walking around with a hangover...