Tuesday, March 10, 2009

All the Meat You Can Eat

Let me preface this post by saying that Michael hates the phrase, "all the meat you can eat" and so I will do my best not to use the phrase when talking about all the meat I could eat or all the meat he could eat or all the theoretical meat that you could eat.

So saturday was our anniversary and we decided to go to the brazillian steakhouse for dinner. Those of you not familiar with a brazilian steakhouse (should read this because it is hilarious), you pay a flat amount and then get all the meat you can eat. But is isn't like a buffet, dudes in gaucho pants run around with meat on swords and slice it directly onto your plate. They had like 4-5 different kinds of beef, lamb chops, leg of lamb, pork loin, pork ribs, and their menu online says they have chicken but I never saw the chicken guy and quite frankly, I didn't want to see him. I was there for all the meat I could eat - and um to spend a wonderful evening with my wonderful (ahem) boyfriend of the past year.

Michael really enjoyed the lamb, I'd never had lamb before and I thought it tasted interesting but really the filet mignon guy could have stood next to our table all night with his sword and I would have been happy. As it was, I think I had three servings of filet mignon, plus a bunch of other stuff, and it was all the meat I could eat. About five minutes after Michael had all the meat he could eat he decided he wanted more lamb so obviously we both had favorites.

The next morning I got up (oh so) early - stupid daylight savings - and made cranberry muffins from scratch and they were delicious! Word of advice though, make sure that your thawed bag of cranberries doesn't have a hole in it or you might end up spilling thick cranberry juice all down the front of you. That didn't happen to me, nope nope nope, but I've heard that could be an issue.




Ingredients

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2/3 cup sugar
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup chopped fresh cranberries (I used thawed, frozen ones and it was fine)
* 2/3 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
* 1/4 cup butter or stick margarine, melted
* 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 large egg, lightly beaten
* Cooking spray

Preparation


Preheat oven to 400°.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Stir in cranberries; make a well in center of mixture. Combine milk, butter, rind, vanilla, and egg; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 18 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove muffins from pan immediately; place on a wire rack.

No comments: