Thursday, June 2, 2011

Way better than "Jerk Store"

Who here hasn't had a George Costanza moment where you come up with the super great come-back but like way too late? Ok, we all know "jerk store" is a terrible comeback but we know the feeling right?

I had the opposite moment. I actually said what I thought and it was HILARIOUS, I'm not sure the dude on the phone thought so but it was all I could do to not laugh, especially since saying it completely seriously was part of it's appeal.

(In case you can't tell his tone was getting increasingly rude and loud as the call went on)

Me: Austin Multi-Line Services
Dude: Hi Becky, this is Joe and I need to talk to you about your merchant services account.
Me: Oh sorry, Becky retired a few years ago. Would you like to speak with the new owner?
Dude: No. I need to talk to Becky.
Me: Well I'm sorry but she doesn't work here anymore, if it is about the company's merchant account then you should probably talk to the new owner.
Dude: No. Just give me Becky's number.
Me: I'm sorry, I can't do that.
Dude: Why not? I need to talk to her.
Me: Because we don't give out personal information about current or former employees.
Dude: Just give it to me.
Me: No. Sorry.
Dude: I need to talk to her.
Me: About her merchant account?
Dude: Yes! Give me her number.
Me: I still can't give it to you.
Dude (kinda yelling at this point): Well how do YOU suggest I get a hold of her if you won't give me the number?
Me: You could try an owl. They always seems to find who they are looking for.
Dude: .........
Dude: I'm going to give you my number and you tell her to call me. Write this down! 1-888-555-5555 (I don't remember the actual numbers). Got it???
Me: Sure.
Dude: You didn't write that down did you?
Me: Nope
Dude: *click*

I think the important part is that he didn't ask what the hell I was talking about so he must have understood the reference. I laughed pretty hard once I hung up the phone.

2 comments:

lizard said...

Genius, pure genius. This will make me laugh for days...thank you.

Kristin said...

That is just plain awesome. :)